We recommend women stay active during pregnancy. Most women can safely continue or begin mild to moderate exercise during pregnancy. It is recommended to exercise 30 minutes daily.
Swimming, stationary cycling, walking, running, hiking, low-impact aerobics, yoga, and pilates can all be enjoyed during pregnancy.
- Try exercising a minimum of 30 minutes at least three times a week.
- Avoid potentially dangerous sports activities. No horseback riding, downhill skiing, scuba diving, or contact sports. Avoid activities where you could potentially be hit in the abdomen or are risk for falling.
- Do not lie flat on your back to exercise after 20 weeks gestation.
- Drink water liberally during exercise.
- Vigorous exercise should not be performed in hot, humid weather.
- Stop exercising if any of the following are experienced during exercise:
- Vaginal bleeding
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pain
- Signs of preterm labor